August 24, 2010

Review: Shadowland #2

Story: Andy Diggle
Art: Billy Tan

Let me get things straight, I love Daredevil. He's one of my favorite characters in the Marvel Universe. Unfortunately, I'm starting to have doubts about this book.

A huge ninja headquarters in the middle of Hell's Kitchen declaring martial law with Daredevil leading it? That's the main plot of Shadowland. It actually sounds like a great idea if you ask me. However, it stills feels like there's something missing in this book.

First up, the recap page doesn't really cut it for me. I don't know why Daredevil is doing all this. What's the real motive? He's slowly becoming a villain as he wanted to expand his base of operations. I know a lot has happened to Matt Murdock in the past few days, but I don't really think Matt Murdock would actually do this kind of stuff.

Furthermore, Ghost Rider and Spider-Man suddenly pops up out of nowhere. I understand that Spider-Man would appear eventually because he's one of Daredevil's closest friends. But Ghost Rider? On the other hand, Moon Knight's involvement is delivered well. This issue opens with Moon Knight taking notice of Shadowland, and gets the attention of the Hand ninjas to get in.

Luke Cage and company gets more screentime this time, trying to talk some sense into Daredevil. And that's where Spider-Man should fall in. Spidey is closer to Daredevil and they've been to a lot together. So it's more logical for him to be the first one to take concern to Daredevil than Luke Cage and the others.

Billy Tan's artwork is better here than the first issue. The splash page of Ghost Rider's appearance looks stunning. And there aren't any awkward poses this time within the cast.

The build-up to Shadowland was great. It brought the hype it needed for the book. I mean, the idea behind the book sounds good. But two issues in, the story still seems a little slow. On the plus side, I find this issue better than the first one, which I think that this issue could easily pass a the first issue altogether.

Rating: 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment