August 8, 2009

1st Metro Comic-Con 2009

The first ever local Comic-Con took place today at SM Megamall. Was it a blast? Was it any good? I had some high expectations in this event. And you know what happens when expect too high.

Disappointment. First, this is a COMIC-CON, not some anime fusion whatchamacallit. I still saw buttloads of anime cosplayers roaming around (which were horrible by the way) that made me kinda disgusted. I'm sick of all that already! Damn it you already have your own anime convention, that's where you should be!

I don't hate anime, I just expected that since this is Comic-Con, a convention for western pop-culture, I'd see a lot of superhero cosplays.

Furthermore, I didn't see the comic book artists much. That's what I came for. I only saw a few of them roaming around earlier. From what I read, they were supposed to be signing comic books but when I came there (it was already 2pm), they were nowhere to be found. There was a table where they were supposed to be signing but it was empty. What's worse is that when I was about to go home it's the time when they started gathering.




Where are all the people?!



Local comic book makers selling their books.

Storm Shadow spoke like a Japanese chef.



LOL

Tita Cory backdrop in MCC.

Filipino big-time comic book artists hanging out in a corner.

And now for the statues of the local statue makers on display. First I'll show you FBS' stuff. All of these are 1/4 scale.













Next up, Halimaw! Sculptures.





Lastly, Hobbymaster's work.





Here are some other related pictures in the MCC.




Of course, what good is a convention if you go home empty-handed? Actually I bought a couple of stuff. Met some nice people too. So here are my hauls.


Trese: Unreported Murders and Trese: Murder on Balete Drive local comic books. Written by Budgette Tan and art by Kajo Baldisimo.

Mr. Budgette Tan signing my copy.

Mr. Kajo Baldisimo signing my copy.

Book 1.

Book 2.

Blue Lantern and Black Lantern shirts.

Captain America and Hawkeye lead figures.

Captain America: The Man Who Bought America Vol. 3 trade paperback. Got it for only P400! 50% discount!


So that's it folks. See you next time. :)

2 comments:

  1. OMG I MUST BORROW THOSE COMICS

    Anyway, sorry that the cosplayers ruined it for you. I actually found it weird they were there, and here I was thinking that the Western hobby/comics/etc were still more prevalent here.

    ReplyDelete